miércoles, 6 de junio de 2012

Sonetos del Portugués - XLIII - Elizabeth Barret Browning

¿Cómo te amo? Deja que cuente los modos...

XLIII

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
my soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
for the ends of Being and ideal Grace.


I love thee to the level of everyday´s
most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.
I love thee freely, as men strive for Right;
I love thee purely, as they turn from Praise.


I love thee with a passion put to use
in my old griefs, and with my childhood´s faith.
I Love thee with a love I seemed to lose


with my lost saints, -I love thee with the breath,
smiles, tears, of all my life!- and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death.

¿Cómo te amo? Dejame contar los modos.
Te amo con toda la profundidad, amplitud y altura
que mi alma pueda alcanzar, cuando persigo en vano
las fronteras del Ser y la Gracia ideal.

Te amo hasta el nivel de la cotidiana
necesidad más silenciosa, con el sol y la luz de la lámpara.
Te amo libremente, como los hombres luchan por lo correcto.
Te amo puramente, como ellos alcanzan la Gloria.

Te amo con la pasión que antes puse
en mis viejos lamentos, y con mi fe de niña.
Te amo con la ternura que creí perder

cuando mis santos se desvanecieron -¡Te amo con el aliento,
sonrisas, y lagrimas, de toda mi vida!- y, si Dios elige,
Yo te amaré aún más después de la muerte. 



2 comentarios:

Anónimo dijo...

This is spanish!

Craken dijo...

what a wonderful find! Thanks a million to the soul that brought this page into being.

may I say that the translation of Browning's poem leaves a lot to be desired?

Again, thank you!